No products in the cart.
How to properly care for your compression socks/stockings?
Sigvaris brand product instructions and care:
- Always use special SIGVARIS Rubber Gloves to don socks or stockings
- Avoid sharp fingernails and toenails
- Remove rings before applying
- Do not cut off loose threads inside of the stocking
- Do not apply oily skin care lotion on your legs before wearing the product
- Watch the SIGVARIS videos on how to don compression stockings
- Wash daily in a linen bag or wash by hand in cold/lukewarm water using the SIGVARIS Washing Solution
- Hang to dry away from direct heat source
- Do not use fabric softener
- Do not machine dry
- Do not dry clean
- Do not iron
Mediven brand product instructions and care:
- Wash your compression stockings daily.
- Mediven compression stockings can be washed in a machine at 40° using the delicates washing programme.
- Use a detergent for delicate fabrics. Do not use fabric conditioner as this may block the pores and make the fibres stick together.
- Never dry compression stockings in the sun or on the radiator.
- Most mediven models are suitable for drying in a tumble dryer (on delicate).
- Please do not have compression stockings dry cleaned and do not iron or bleach.
- You can wash your compression stockings gently by using the mediven laundry net.
To wash by hand:
- Fill the wash-hand basin with water
- add washing powder or special detergent for compression stockings (medi clean)
- leave to act for a short time
- wash the stockings
- wrap the wet stockings in a towel
- lay this “package” on the ground and tread it flat so that as much moisture as possible is pressed out of the stocking into the towel
- then take the stockings out of the towel and hang them up
- leave to dry until next morning
Jobst brand product instruction and care:
Wearing compression for the first time:
The first few times you wear your compression garment you will notice the squeeze. It is OK to begin wearing your stockings gradually. Try wearing them for just a few hours the first day and then increase the number of hours each day until you can wear them comfortably throughout the day while you are up and about. Check your stockings periodically to smooth out any wrinkles as the fabric may move during the day. Remove your stockings before going to bed. If you find that compression stockings are difficult to put on, please see our Donning Suggestions and Donning Aids.
It is important to wear your compression garments everyday. Compression stockings and sleeves manage an on-going problem. When you remove your compression garment the condition responsible for your symptoms is still there. Failure to wear your stockings or lymphedema garment may cause your condition to become more severe.
Hand or machine-wash with warm water and mild soap or detergent, or Jolastic® Washing Solution. No chlorine bleach. Warm water rinse. Hang or lay flat to air-dry. May dry in a dryer on low heat or delicate setting. Placing your stockings in a mesh laundry bag will help protect them during the wash cycle.
Special care for Jobst thigh high hosiery:
The use of skin care products (such as skin creams, body lotion, or powder) as well as various skin types (such as dry or peeling skin) and hair growth may prevent the silicone band from keeping the thigh high in place.
To improve the performance of the silicone band under the above conditions, we recommend the following steps:
- Turn the JOBST® Thigh Highs inside out before washing.
- Before the main wash, thoroughly hand wash the silicone band using a delicate fabric detergent. Concentrate on removing any lotion, powder , hair or other foreign material from the silicone.
- Follow the “Application and Care Instructions” included in the JOBST® Thigh High package.
Replacing your garment:
The elastic fibers of your compression garment stockings will break down with wear. Proper care will increase the “life” span of your stockings, but you will need to replace your stockings or sleeve at about every 3-6 months depending on how often you are wearing and how you are caring for your garment. As a general rule, if your garment becomes easy to put on, it probably needs to be replaced.
Juzo brand product instruction and care:
- Machine wash using a mild detergent. Do not use a fabric softener as this can break down the compression fibers. Dry in the dryer using a delicate cycle.
- Use gloves to don/doff the stockings to prevent holes and snags from nails or rings and to evenly disperse the compression.